Monday, August 13, 2012

A Fantastic Find in Williamsburg!

 _____

Cannot even say how much I love Williamsburg!
I even blogged about it earlier this year.

Then we decided to go there again, and I fell even more in love with this awesome place!

I will tell you all about it soon, but... Would like to start with my purchases! More specifically ONE purchase that was beyond incredible:

This painting:



Lulu was posing with this painting all over Williamsburg!

Just could not believe my luck!

Walking down the crowded sidewalks of this wonderful place, I do see this really nice painting with an even prettier antique frame.
It was just there, in the sidewalk, forlornly propped in a wall...

Then I ask the guy and he starts saying how nice is the frame, probably 19th century, etc, etc. And then he is like "It is fifteen dollars"... All that "selling" for FIFTEEN bucks???!!!

Could not believe my ears and immediately whipped up my wallet and got it!!!!

It was relatively early in the day, and we (I mean the hubby), had to carry that all over the city, but boy, was it worth it!

Look at it in our wall:




Lovely, ain't it?

Ok, so I did see it was an old frame, but how old is the oil on canvas painting itself? Could not really tell, but fortunately I did understand the signature: Nell Boardman.

Just a little googling and voila!!!






Nell Boardman (1894-1968)
Birth place: Calendar, IA
Death place: NYC

Profession: Painter
Studied: Iowa State T. Col.; Traphagen Sch. Des.; NAD, and with Victor Pirard, Ivan Olinsky, Alan Swisher, Roger Curtis.
Exhibited: AAPL (prize, 1955); Anchorage, Alaska; Indst. Inst. (prize, 1947); Fla. Southern Col., 1952; All. A. Am.; Wolfe A. Cl. (prize, 1948); S.Indp.A.
Member: Catherine L. Wolfe A. Cl.; Indst. Inst.; All. A. Am.; AAPL; Nat. Lg. Am. Pen Women; Wash. Square Bus. & Prof. Cl.



 
Yeah, that's the same signature!

Her paintings go from anywhere from $495 to $1,200!!!

So, the best $15 I've spent!!!

Besides, I am in love with the painting itself!

YAY! Williamsburg!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nell Boardman was my great aunt. She died the year I was born. I'd be interested in buying this painting. toddwilliamsdfw at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete