Friday, March 4, 2011

AMAZING Website: São Paulo Antiga

I am still in the Sao Paulo state of mind... Having just returned from my hometown, I am trying to cope with my SAUDADE with some internet searching...

Came across this amazing site called São Paulo Antiga and I do see I am not the only one who loves historical buildings and houses from another eras... This site is almost heartbreaking for me, because it does list a ton of beautiful houses and buildings that have been demolished or left in a state of such disrepair that demolition is sometimes the only solution.

It is very well-known that Brazil has almost no preoccupation of keeping its history and memory...

Every time I go to São Paulo (and my last visit was this February), just made me see what is vanishing - so many demolitions, so many empty spaces... The old is always giving place to new and huge buildings... Will this ever end? Sigh... This website gave me a new idea (shame I did not think of that when I was down there, but there is always next time!): bring my camera along and shoot all old buildings and houses I can still find!

But anyway parabens (congrats) to the São Paulo Antiga website.

They have so many interesting posts in there, I will have to set aside some time and read them all...
But for now I will post just one article here on my humble blog , an article of a place I really know...

This is an article about what is left of a very old "friend" of mine... The only remaining modernist house on the corner of Alameda Lorena and Rua Ministro Rocha Azevedo.

I remember growing up looking at this house and loving it for its Art Deco facade...


This how they looked in the first half of the 20th Century:



Now I know more about the history of this house and the other ones that are lost...
See the article here.

Wish I had the vision and time to shoot some of the old buildings/houses I saw this time in São Paulo...
Well, but there is always next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment