Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Walking in NYC, favorite buildings

Now that I do have a decent cell phone camera, my walks around NY will be even more amazing: now I can document buildings that I do love without worrying about forgetting my digital camera at home...

This has been a great favorite of mine in the Bowery:

The Bouwerie Lane Theater
location
330 Bowery at Bond St. 
date
1874
style
Second Empire Baroque
The Bouwerie Lane Theatre has been a theatre since 1974. Designed by Henry Engelbert, this cast iron building is a rare example of the French Second Empire style, and is an historic landmark. The building was home to the German Exchange Bank, then later housed the Bond Street Savings Bank. The space was converted into a theater in 1963. The old vault still exists in the basement and the box office window was one of the original teller windows.



No comments:

Post a Comment