Monday, June 21, 2010

Woman's Home Companion Magazine

Another part of my antique magazine collection: Woman's Home Companion...

I have this Number!!! Just a little bit of a background on this amazing magazine...

WHC was one of the American women's magazines that truly helped shape our lives in the past century. It began humbly 1874 as THE HOME in Cleveland, Ohio, and through a series of changes and mergers became the LADIES' HOME COMPANION in 1886. Changing title again to WOMAN'S HOME COMPANION in 1897, it grew and became one of the most popular of the women's magazines, and lasted into the third quarter of the twentieth century. At one point its claimed circulation was four million, and dozens of famous authors wrote fiction and fact articles for the magazine. Over the years it changed format from "standard" 7" x 10" to various quarto and bedsheet sizes, and during this time its covers included a variety of styles and techniques by some of the best artists working in magazine illustration.

Woman's Home Companion was an American monthly publication, published from 1873 to 1957. It was highly successful, climbing to a circulation peak of more than four million during the 1930s and 1940s.


 Now, just a quick look on the ones I OWN!!!!


 You gotta LOVE Ebay, in the past I've paid like less than 15 bucks for FOUR magazines from 1915, and that included shipping!!!
Crazy.  When I told my mom about how much $$$ I've paid for those, she said: "It is not even worth it to save all these for sooo many years". Well, it was really worth it for me.

I can definitively "travel in time" by reading the articles, seeing the fashions, the wonderful ads... See how life was back in 1915. Amazing time capsule!

No comments:

Post a Comment