Friday, January 13, 2012

NYC signs of a bygone era: Lower East Side

 
I've always noticed Manhattan's faded signs and plaques... I thought I was the only one who really cared about them...

Boy, was I wrong!

There are a lot of blogs dedicated to old remnants of what NYC used to be... Take a look at these cool blogs:

http://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com


http://www.fadingad.com (this one has fading ads from all over the place).

Then I decided to to take some pictures myself, before these things are gone:


Always loved this old school neon sign, obviously left behind a restaurant that no longer exists...

More info about the restaurant "Jade Mountain" (I remember seeing this place still open) and the sign here. It seems that I am not the only one fascinated by this sign...

Then this other gem on the Lower East Side:



LOVE this sign and I am glad that this pharmacy still survives. Hope that it won't close in the future and get replaced by another Duane Reade monstrosity...

Some info: "The classic neon sign that graces the facade was placed there in 1950, and stepping into Block Drugs is like entering a bygone era. The store still features cabinets, drawers and ceiling rollers from the 1920s, as well as some old-fashioned products on display."

It was closed when I passed by, but I will make sure that I can enter it next time!


More signs to come from my future NYC expeditions! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment