Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Books that I've loved: 1808

I am really a history buff. It was one of my favorite subjects since I was a child.
Read many, loved many. This one, 1808, by Brazilian author Laurentino Gomes is fabulous.
It covers the 1808 the whole Portuguese court scape from Napoleon and the beginning of the court's life in Rio de Janeiro. Imagine if you wake up one day and the whole government scaped overseas to Brazil leaving you to face the enemy?

Not a good feeling, huh?

The author managed to sift through a myriad of documents and write a very witty, sometimes funny account of the events, how life was 200 years ago...Very entertaining.

Cannot recommend it enough - pity for the non-Portuguese speakers... I don't think this book was ever translated to English...

No comments:

Post a Comment