Friday, February 12, 2010

Costume Parisien - Journal des Dames et des Modes

 

A few of my favorite things in life are antiques and fashion. I've loved both of them since a very young age. Merging those passions together, I became a fan and amateur collector of antique fashion plates. 

It was very difficult to find those when I was living in Brazil and before the advent of the internet... Nowadays, you can literally find ANYTHING, anytime. One website I go a lot is of course: Ebay! 

I am happy to say that I own some pages of this awesome prototype of a fashion magazine: Costume Parisien - Journal des Dames et des Modes. 

 The best story is when I bought my first pair (no, not on Ebay), but by the banks of the Seine in Paris. Such a special feeling. They (a couple from the 1810's) are framed in my bedroom. So awesome. 

After those, I ended up buying some more from Ebay. Just love touching a paper that is almost 200 years old and hand-painted. Special for me for sure. Here's some info about the magazine...

About the Journal des Dames et des Modes ...

Le Journal des dames et des modes , aka Journal des dames, Costumes parisiens, Journal des modes Journal de la Mésangère or Gazette des salons is an illustrated French Fashion magazine published between 1797 and 1836, showing the changing fashions of the late French Revolution, the Consulate, the Empire and the early Bourbon restoration.This journal was published in Paris, so during the revolution it was dated by the new system during those years.

No comments:

Post a Comment